Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Bleh

This is a week of bleh. It's the bleh week, at least in some instances. Most of this case of bleh comes from my lack of decision-making skills.
Let's start over, jumping back to last Sunday night/Monday morning, when I finished Viola.
I'd like to say it had been a moment of epic proportions, but it wasn't. At first, the ending I had, I wasn't satisfied with. I didn't know why, but it failed to satisfy me enough to hand it over to anyone... let's say... come noon of Monday. So I took a break and fixed it. Still not happy. Changed it again. Ate dinner. Stared down my computer screen. My brain fried in the process.
Monday arrives! Stare at my computer again, from many angles. Slowly tweaked a few words here and there, added and deleted sentences, cut down the infernal creatures standing in the way of what I wanted. It was an exhausting battle that I accomplished, perhaps in a little over an hour, but succeeded and came out fairly satisfied, in the end. I wonder how long that will last. My inner critic will probably be waiting come the next time I look at the final chapter, so maybe I won't look at that chapter for a little while.
Now my rut is here. I've never edited a book before. I've written five novels (yes, I've technically written the Viola series... now I'm going back to the beginning and making all of them nice and sparkly), rewrote one of them, but I've never done a proper edit, where I don't retell the entire story. I'm making a list of things I know I want done, but is that how you're supposed to go about it? I don't know. It's probably one of those things that's different for every author, which is nice and unique in some ways, but not helpful in other ways, because I barely know what I want half the time. That's the reason why this week is bleh.
Oh, Viola, how you love to test me, don't you? You and the wonders of the Internet fuel my frustrations and procrastination.
And then, of course, there's other stuff, too. This week is just a crappy week for making any kind of decision whatsoever.
I must let my inner Gloria Gaynor sing out. She will guide me through these darkened waters. I'm betting I'll be doing the hustle in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment